lunes, marzo 06, 2006

SOMEONE IS CRYING FOR ME

"What's it mean? Those six skeletons?"
"They're you," says Kiki. "This is your room. Everything here is you. Yourself. Everyhting."
"My room," I repeat after her. "Well, then, what about the Dolphin Hotel? What's there?"
"That's your place too. Of course. The Sheep Man's there. And I'm here".
The shafts of light do not waver. They are hard, uniform. Only the air vibrates minutely in them. I notice it without really looking.
"I seem to have rooms in a lot of places," I say. "You know, I kept having these dreams. About the Dolphin Hotel. And somebody there, who's crying for me. I had that same dream almost every night. The Dolphin Hotel stretches out long and narrow, and there's someone there, crying for me. I thought it was you. So I knew I had to see you."
"Everyone's crying for you," says Kiki, ever so softly, in a voice to soothe worn nerves. "After all, that whole place is for you. Everyone there cries for you."
"But you were calling me. That's why I went I went back, to see you. And then from there... a lot of things started. Just like before. I met all sorts of folks. People died. But, you did call me, didn't you? It was you who guided me along, wasn't it?"
"It wasn't me. It was you who called yourself. I'm merely a projection. You guided yourself, through me. I'm your phantom dance partner. I'm your shadow. I'm not anything more." [...]
"But why would everyone cry for me?"
[...]
"We're crying for all the things you can't cry for," whispers Kiki. Slowly, as if to spell it out. "We shed tears for all the things you never let yourself shed tears, we weep for all the things you did not weep."

Haruki Murakami, Dance Dance Dace